Who Are We And What Is This?
#TheUndercommons is an ongoing public meeting space, initiated by Black graduate students at UCLA and maintained by a coalition of UCLA students and community organizers.
The space is meant to facilitate the sharing and collective creation of knowledge with liberatory potential, including ways of knowing often devalued by the university. Through this space, we hope to find ways to achieve liberation from white supremacy, heteropatriarchy, capitalism, settler colonialism, and all forms of structural violence.
#TheUndercommons currently meets in public at the bottom of Janss Steps @ UCLA every Tuesday and Wednesday, indefinitely.
Support The Undercommons!
We have set up a GoFundMe page to collect donations so that we can continue to occupy and publicly resist dominant forms of coercion in the academic-industrial process. Please contribute here!
We intend to use the money raised here to engage with the greater Los Angeles community and facilitate community member (e.g. organizers, artists, etc.) participation. Funds will be used for the following:
- Food and drink for those in attendance
- Community Transportation: Renting buses or vans, providing bus passes or parking permits, and reimbursing individuals willing to provide rides
- Compensation/stipends for community members taking the time to share their considerable knowledge and expertise
- Providing childcare to accomodate community member engagement and participation
- Promotional materials for #TheUndercommons (e.g. stickers, posters, t-shirts, etc.)
- Establishing and maintaining #TheUndercommons satellite spaces within communities across Los Angeles
To lend support to specific Undercommons’ projects, please visit our Initiatves page, where you can find fundraiser links, project descriptions, current activities, and more!